Breaking News :  Indian Manual The fastest message board... ever.

How a woman from India changed the view about prostitutes ini India. Prostitutes are made by men, no born
Posted by: My mom is prostitute from India ()
Date: July 12, 2010 12:35PM

"Autobiography of a Sex Worker" has brought a degree of fame, money and respect. Jameela's 24-year-old daughter Seena, married and pregnant with her first child, is happy with her mother's fame.

"Earlier, people used to say that because my mother is a prostitute, I must also be one. But now when they call me Nalini Jameela's daughter I feel very good," Seena says.

But this attractive, largely uneducated mother of two is a best-selling author and prostitute whose outspoken views of sex work as a career choice have stirred controversy in conservative India.

Her "Autobiography of a Sex Worker," has angered both feminists, who say it glorifies sex work, and conservatives, who think prostitutes should keep quiet.

"I have written this book for other sex workers. I wanted to talk about it to remove the stigma," Jameela said. Her hometown was Kerala State.

"People think we are bad because we have sex for money. Nobody understands our grief."

Jameela was forced into prostitution 25 years ago when her first husband died, leaving her with a child to support. Sex work paid more than she was earning as a factory worker. She charges her clients between 500-1,000 rupees (US$11-US$22) per visit.

Her first customer was a policeman. When she came out of the room the next morning, she was beaten up by police on orders of another policeman she had turned down.

"I felt humiliated, but I had no option but to continue."

Book glorifies prostitution?

"Prostitution is considered as work" in the book, K. Ajitha, president of Anweshi, a Kerala women's group said. "I don't accept that. Women in prostitution have only the right to sell their bodies, they don't have the right to choose."

Written with I. Gopinath, an activist who works with sex workers, the book has sold more than 10,000 copies in less than six months in a market where 5,000 in a year is a best seller.

Jameela has so far earned 84,000 rupees (US$1,830) from book sales.

But in India, public displays of affection are frowned upon and talking about sex publicly is still taboo.

One popular south Indian actress has been pelted with sandals, tomatoes and rotten eggs and hauled before a court for suggesting women might have sex before marriage and telling men not to expect their brides to be virgins anymore.

Protests over her comments lasted more than a month.

Prostitution is outlawed, but India has more than 2 million sex workers living on the fringes of society. They have few rights and abuse by both customers and the police is common.

Commercial sex is one of the main drivers of the spread of HIV/AIDS and India has more than 5 million reported cases of people living with the virus, rivalling South Africa as the worst hit nation.

The US Central Intelligence Agency estimates more than 20 million people could be infected with HIV in India by 2010 and economists warn it could undermine India's rise to economic superpower status.

Alarmed by the rising numbers, the government's Planning Commission has recommended prostitution be legalized to help fight AIDS.

Many prostitutes are pushed into the trade by traffickers and by poverty and some, including thousands of girls smuggled in from Nepal each year, are held as sex slaves for a decade or more.

Against this backdrop, some women activists accuse Gopinath of interpreting Jameela's words in a way that glorifies prostitution.

"They cannot imagine that a woman on the street can say such things. I cannot imagine all this. These are Jameela's ideas, not mine," Gopinath says.

Says V.C. Harris, a professor at Kerala's MG University: "This is not a victim's book. One of the most striking things about the book is the confidence and inner strength that exudes from it."

Like many women in India, Jameela's education is minimal. She finished school after third grade, which is roughly about 7 years old. Over the years, she married three times and has two grown daughters, now both housewives.

"Autobiography of a Sex Worker" has brought a degree of fame, money and respect. Jameela's 24-year-old daughter Seena, married and pregnant with her first child, is happy with her mother's fame.

"Earlier, people used to say that because my mother is a prostitute, I must also be one. But now when they call me Nalini Jameela's daughter I feel very good," Seena says.

Neither Seena, nor her sister Latha, have followed their mother's footsteps, although Jameela says that she would not have stopped them from becoming prostitutes if they had wanted to.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How a woman from India changed the view about prostitutes ini India. Prostitutes are made by men, no born
Posted by: sex is a woman's need as well ()
Date: July 12, 2010 12:52PM

As I was just nine when I started to work (in a clay mine), I had none of the heavy responsibilities that worker women usually carry... I got one-and-a-half rupees (US $1=Rs 39). When everyone bought rice and provisions I bought some too. I tucked the rice, chillies and coriander into my towel and stepped into the house like a very important person, only to find my mother in anguished tears. Her hope was that I would become someone big through studies. In my mind, I was already a big person.

A New Job

I started sex work after my husband's death, when his mother began demanding a really large sum from me daily to support my children... My mother-in-law asked for five rupees every day.

I discussed this with my friend Kartyayani... she told me about Rosa Chechi of Thrissur. She apparently had a job there; I could earn money if I joined her. What sort of work, I asked. You'll have to 'go along with' a man, she replied. No one would openly mention sleeping together or sex. ...

Rosa Chechi told me we were to go to a place where a police officer was entertaining people. I went along with her... I was standing, relaxed, hair flowing loose, when he came in. A man in a gold-bordered dhoti, with a sandal mark on his forehead... His behavior towards me that night was very tender... This was the person I had dreamt of, the lover who appeared in my fantasies. The same handsome man handed me over to the police in the morning.

... As soon as we came to the police station, the caning started. We were caned on the soles of our feet... In between beatings the Assistant Station Inspector jeered, "So what did you think? That if you slept with 'saar' (sir) at night, he wouldn't tell us?"...

The Company House

After this, I decided to go to Vavannur to get away. I rented a house there along with Rosa Chechi, Sheela, Kartyayani and others. Rosa Chechi was our leader... In general, those were happy days that flew by fast. I used to send home money very regularly. Though I was not in a situation where I could go back home, they accepted my earnings. The usual method was to send the money to my husband's mother through a woman friend...

At Mangalore

Once, the sum I had sent came back unclaimed. I made enquiries through a friend. Apparently, my husband's younger brother had gone off to work in the Gulf and was sending plenty of money back home. So they had decided not to accept my money. The fear was that if they accepted my money, I might claim my children later. It was painful to cut my ties with them for good; but they were living well, and I found some happiness in that. I had got into this trade to support my kids. Like any other job, this one too had been tiring at times. I'd carried on only for their sake. Now that responsibility had ended; I began to think of other options, including that of leaving the trade.

Married, Again

I was confused, unsure of my next step when Koyakka proposed to me. He promised to marry me and settle down in a house in another part of Mangalore. He had been married twice, he told me; but since there were no kids, he'd divorced both wives. He set a condition for us. If we didn't have children, he'd give up this relationship too... I didn't have a bad opinion of him. I decided to accept his proposal, given everything...

'Haram-haraat?'

Until the baby was born, Koyakka used to take care of everything, but after her birth, his interest began to wane. ...When I found out that Koyakka was thinking of disowning the child, I decided to end that 20-month-old marriage...

The Marriage that Lasted

One day Sheela and I were roaming in the vicinity of the KSRTC bus station when a fairly good-looking man alighted... It was apparent that he was looking for a woman. ...he gave me 200 rupees and asked all about my life, how I happened to have a baby with the Muslim name Zeenat and other details. Once he had heard everything, he asked, "Are you interested in living with me?" I was wary, in the light of my earlier experience. But he persisted. He said we could live as husband and wife, that he would bring up Zeenat like his own child.

Once we started living together, he and my little girl became very close. I didn't do sex work those days... For the next 12 years, I didn't have to struggle to raise my daughter. ...

'Veerappan's Lion'

The terrible times started in 1994. I fell ill suddenly, caught completely by surprise. The period stays in my mind like an experience of falling off a cliff, or of being rudely roused from a dream. ...

On the Streets with My Daughter

Now all my money had been spent on medical treatment... I was back on the streets with 13-year-old Zeenat. Where were we to go? My body would not allow me to do sex work. What to do, then?...

Rehabilitation

A question often raised with regard to sex workers, especially in Kerala, is that of our 'rehabilitation'... I want to ask these people whether they have ever tried to find out about sex workers' family ties, social ties. Is it possible to build afresh their domestic ties and social ties through rehabilitation? Won't this merely leave the sex worker all the more isolated and helpless?

We demand that sex work be decriminalized. ... By 'decriminalizing', what we mean is this: if two people want to have sex by common consent, if this is in no way a nuisance to others, then it should not be questioned. This is particularly important in Kerala, where there are no brothels. They are run best in Kolkata and in Karnataka... In Mumbai and other places, there is often utter wretchedness. The brothels in Mumbai are the worst.

...In general feminists are reluctant to accept sex workers. I think that's because they cannot see that sex is a woman's need as well.

Girls from India in high demand in Shanghai China
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 28, 2010 02:09PM

BAI: It's been about three months since Seema came to Mumbai to work in a bar. But she already has visited Hong Kong and Dubai for 'servicing' her clients.

Seema was working as a waitress in a bar in Andheri. Her salary was a measly Rs 3,000 per month. But when the bar owner asked her if she would be interested to go for a 10-day trip to Shanghai, China and would be paid 10 times her salary, she readily agreed. What followed was a stint at one of the 'body shops' there, where Indian girls are more in demand than Chinese girls.

Seema is not alone. In the last four months, there has been a huge increase in human trafficking, with Mumbai becoming a transit point for far-flung destinations like China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Dubai, and even in African countries like Uganda and Kenya's capital Nairobi.

In the aftermath of the closure of Mumbai's dance bars, a recent study conducted by Bhartiya Bar Girl Union and a Goa-based NGO in 22 bars in Mumbai throws up these new facets of flesh trade. "Nearly 5,000 girls have left their homes in search of livelihood from poorer north-eastern states and Bangladesh and reached bars in Mumbai in the last few months through pimps and agents. The agents then given them an option of visiting a foreign country for a short period on a package tour," said Varsha Kale, president Bharatiya Bar Girls Union.

The girls are then kept in new ghettos that have come up in Lodha village near Dombivili, Chembur, Shilplata in Thane, Nerul village. "Some even stay at Nehru Nagar slum near Mithibhai college.

The entire area has become another red light area as dusk sets in," said an agent based in Nehru Nagar

Indian Elders prefer Bar girls end up in prostitution and create a new Kamatipura
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 28, 2010 02:21PM

Poor girsl in India found a way to make a living by not giving in for prostitution - Entertain by dancin in a bar fully clothed.

Howeve our Indian intellectual want the dance to be stopped but they do not mind these girls ending up in prostitution.

Bombay has the one of the most wrethced prostitution in world packed with AIDS patients and infecting kids. That does not bother the Indian morons or so called " politicians"

Indian elders who are morally superior in the world want these ladies stop dancing and make a living by providing sex service behind closed doors.

Wait a second - The state government does not really care about woman, but they care about their sons. The politicians and MORONS does not want their sons to spend money on these girls. STATE GOVERNMENT DOES NOT CARE A BIT ABOUT THE GIRLS OR WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO THEM. THEY ARE JUST WORRIED ABOUT RICH KIDS WHO WILL NOT ABLE TO BRING DOWRY INTO THE FAMILY

Maharashtra's Home Minister RR Patil announced his decision to the state assembly.

"It has been seen that a lot of youths in these [rural] areas splurge money in these bars and indulge in crimes. On an immediate basis, the licences of these bars will be cancelled," Mr Patil said.

Bar workers have staged protests before against police raids
The fate of Mumbai's bars is still to be decided.

Mr Patil said a committee was still assessing the matter and that a decision would be made soon, although he admitted the long tradition meant closing the bars would "not be easy".

The head of the Dance Bars Owners' Association, Manjeet Singh, told the BBC the government's decision was arbitrary and that legal action was under way.

The police have long regarded dance bars as venues for prostitution, although they are not illegal.

Officers conduct periodic raids, including one in Mumbai in August that drew a massive protest by most of the 60,000 bar girls in the city.

The girls usually dance to Bollywood songs in colourful dresses and customers often throw money at them.

"All we are doing is dancing to entertain people. Even women in music videos do that. But you don't say anything to them," one bar girl, Geeta Shetty, said at the time

Some bar owners complain that police take kickbacks and treat the bar girls like animals, whereas some of the bar girls allege owners keep a large chunk of their tips and often resort to violence to stop them leaving.

Picture speaks more than words
Posted by: Indian woman ()
Date: July 06, 2010 05:19PM

Indian lady dress code
Posted by: Indian Ladies need to cover their ass ()
Date: July 06, 2010 10:22AM

Indian lady soldiers from noth east India

But male counterparts are requesting a dress code as below, so that they will not tempted to illicit acts.

How an Indian Lady forced Police to Act - Pooja Chauhan
Posted by: 90% of Indian married woman live in a state of mental coma. ()
Date: June 22, 2010 05:06PM

RAJKOT, India:

What is Pooja supposed to do.

She just gave birth to a beutiful girl.

Husubands dad is not happy with the dowry she bought.

Husbands mom is not happy with the child she gave birth.

Husband is not happy with the sexual service provided evey night.

What a hell she was in. She asked for help. Police did not care a damn.

That is when Pooja acted. Now the world understands what she went through.

90% of Indian married woman live in a state of mental coma.

Conservative Rajkot went into convulsions on Wednesday when alleged mental and physical abuse by her husband's family drove a 22-year-old woman to strip to her underwear and walk through the city in protest.

Pooja Chauhan said she had taken to this unique protest after being constantly harassed for not bringing dowry and bearing a girl-child.

The effect was immediate. The police arrested her husband Pratapsinh Chauhan, parents-in-law and neighbours Veji Bharwad and Vinu Dalit on Wednesday, after she threatened to scale up her protest and march nude to the police commissioner's office if she did not get justice.

"The arrests were made on the basis of Pooja Chauhan's complaint. We are also planning to take action against Pooja for indecent behaviour in a public place. However, we will examine her mental condition before taking any action," said Rajkot police commissioner K Nityanandam.

Residents in the busy thoroughfares of Race Course Road and Yagnik Road were left gaping in shock on Tuesday evening as Pooja walked in her inner-wear, wielding a baseball bat and bangles, headed for the police commissioner's office.

She walked for about an hour and went home later as the police commissioner was out of station.

Police sources said Pooja had a love marriage with Pratapsinh, a resident of Gandhigram area, about three years ago, but her in-laws kept harassing her for dowry. The harassment increased when she gave birth to a daughter eight months ago. She finally left home five months ago and has been living on her own with her daughter, Anjali.

Sources said police inaction on her complaints had driven her to stage such a protest. "When her complaint against her in-laws failed to evoke any response, she tried to immolate herself at the office of the police commissioner last Friday but police personnel stopped her," said a source in the commissionerate.

Re: How an Indian Lady forced Police to Act - Pooja Chauhan
Posted by: India need brave ladies like Pooja ()
Date: August 14, 2010 12:10AM

This forum powered by Indianmanual.